The Institute of Apprenticeships official launches
The Institute for Apprenticeships ensures high-quality apprenticeship standards and advises government on funding for each standard.
The institute is employer-led with an independent chair who leads a board of employers, business leaders and their representatives, to ensure employers continue to drive apprenticeship quality to the highest level.
Their main functions are:
- developing and maintaining quality criteria for the approval of apprenticeship standards and assessment plans
- supporting the development of standards and assessment plans by employer groups, reviewing and approving them
- publishing approved standards and assessment plans
- advising on the maximum amount of government funding that can be drawn down by employers for individual apprenticeship standards
- quality assuring the delivery of apprentice end-point assessments, where employer groups have been unable to propose other arrangements
- ensuring that all end-point assessments are quality assured
In 2017 to 2018 they aim to:
- build the confidence of employers, apprentices and government on the quality of apprenticeships
- publish our first operational plan
- lead action on improving quality
- advise the Secretary of State for Education on the allocation of standards to funding bands
- prepare for our new technical education remit in April 2018