The workplace in science-based industries is very different from the academic environment. Understanding more about what will be expected and how industry ‘works’ will help you to make a successful start in your placement or employment.
You should seek any opportunities during your degree course to spend time, however short, in science-based workplaces and talk to people working in the industry in different roles about what they do and what it is like. Look for opportunities to:
- Meet industry scientists when they visit your institution for guest lectures or careers events.
- Shadow scientists at work if you can’t obtain longer periods of experience.
- Attend conferences and events in areas of science that interest you and network with industry representatives.
- Get involved in any collaborative research projects in your institution, perhaps through making contact with postgraduate students in your department.
- Talk to academic staff who have worked in industry about their experiences.
Error loading MacroEngine script (file: GetBannerSideImages.cshtml)